My doctor just informed me that I need to reduce certain carbohydrates in my diet. Apparently, foods like bread, rice, potatoes, and pasta are known to contribute to weight gain. Can anyone tell me, is this a thing? I mean, I was totally unaware of this!
Just kidding. It’s just that I’m in denial. See, I love carbs, but at 34, they apparently no longer love me and have caused me to gain an unmentionable amount of weight in the past few weeks. So…I guess I need to change my diet a bit, especially since my doctor also told me not to run for the next few weeks or so. (Sprained ankle.)
If you couldn’t tell from my previous posts (and probably many of my future posts), eating low-carb or low-sugar or any other type of healthy is a challenge for me. There is just too much good stuff out there. I have, however, been making a concerted effort to cut out excessive amounts of carbs (like my standard weekly ENTIRE bag of kettle chips in one sitting).
I started trying to cut carbs yesterday, and it has been pure torture. I did, however, manage to take my mind off of that for a little while by whipping up some incredibly delicious little lettuce wraps for lunch.
Shrimp. Sriracha mayo. Cucumber. All wrapped in tender butter lettuce leaves. And the whole recipe (according to My Fitness Pal) is less than 300 calories!
I started by making a quick marinade of lemon, sriracha, and olive oil. I let it marinate for about 10 minutes while I heated the griddle and prepped my cucumber relish. Then, I cooked the shrimp on my heated griddle for about two minutes on each side, until they started curling up and they turned from grey to pink.
To make the cucumber relish, I made a mayo-based sauce with a squeeze of lemon and a bit of garlic chili sauce (very similar to sriracha, but chunky and a different spice balance). I mixed it with some small-diced cucumber, and that’s it!
To plate, I put down a lettuce leaf, topped it with one shrimp, and a bit of relish. For some added spice, I drizzled a bit more sriracha. I used only one shrimp per leaf because I had itty bitty butter lettuce leaves, but if you use larger leaves, you can use more!
Sriracha Shrimp Lettuce Wraps
(serves 2-3 as appetizers)
10 uncooked shrimp (About 0.5 pounds of size 16/20)
1 tbs. lemon juice
2 tsp. sriracha chili sauce
1 tbs. olive oil
1 cup diced cucumber
1 tbs. mayonnaise
2 tsp. garlic chili sauce
1 tsp. lemon juice
10 small butter lettuce leaves
- Preheat a griddle, pan, or grill pan.
- Peel the shrimp and place them in a non-reactive bowl. Drizzle with 1 tbs. lemon juice, 2 tsp. sriracha sauce, and 1 tbs. olive oil. Toss together and set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix together 1 tbs. mayonnaise, 1-2 tsp. garlic chili sauce, and 1 tsp. lemon juice. Add diced cucumber and stir to combine.
- Put the shrimp onto wooden skewers. Place on the hot griddle and sear for about 2 minutes. Turn them over and sear for an additional 1-2 minutes, until the ends have curled up into a C-shape. Don’t let them go too long or they will curl up very tightly and look more like an O (for overcooked)!
- Lay down a lettuce leaf onto the plate. Top it with one shrimp and about a tablespoon of cucumber relish. Drizzle on extra sriracha if you like spicy!